Look & Feel
The SleepStyle Auto has a compact modern design and a sleek black shell. A large central button starts and stops the machine, and users can access settings via a display screen and four control buttons.
- First-time APAP users
- People who wake up during the night and struggle to get back to sleep
- CPAP users with manual dexterity concerns that make touchscreen machines less comfortable to use
Who Should Keep Looking
- Travelers interested in a CPAP machine that is ultra-lightweight or can be used in-flight
- Shoppers on a tight budget
- CPAP users who prefer more control over automatic ramping features
The Fisher and Paykel SleepStyle Auto CPAP Machine is a positive airway pressure (PAP) machine that uses proprietary algorithms to deliver the correct amount of air pressure to a user while they sleep. This type of CPAP machine is also sometimes called an APAP (auto-adjusting positive airway pressure) machine.
Some of the SleepStyle Auto’s stand-out features include a built-in heated humidifier, expiratory pressure relief, a ramp setting, and a wake-detection algorithm that adjusts pressure to help the user get back to sleep after waking during the night. The SleepStyle Auto also connects to the SleepStyle App and is compatible with Fisher and Paykel’s AirSpiral tubing.
We’ll walk you through what you should know before purchasing a SleepStyle Auto CPAP Machine, including an in-depth analysis of its features, an overview of its performance in different categories, and what customers have to say about their experience with it.
What You Need to Know About the Fisher and Paykel Auto CPAP Machine
The Fisher and Paykel SleepStyle Auto CPAP Machine is an automatic positive airway pressure (APAP) machine. Instead of the fixed air pressure level used by continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines, APAP machines use an algorithm to determine the correct air pressure level from moment to moment as the user sleeps.
The SleepStyle Auto also provides a range of features meant to make the user more comfortable throughout the night. These include a built-in heated humidifier with humidity controls, expiratory relief that lowers air pressure during exhalation, and a ramp setting that allows the user to fall asleep with lower pressure that gradually increases to the prescribed amount. The SleepStyle Auto also has a wake-detection algorithm that lowers pressure if the user wakes at night.
What Comes With It
The SleepStyle Auto comes with ThermoSmart AirSpiral heated tubing, as well as an integrated heated humidifier. Customers also receive a carrying case, filters, and access to the SleepStyle app.
PAP Type: APAP
- Integrated heated humidifier
- ThermoSmart AirSpiral heated tubing
- Carrying case
- Power cord
- Data USB
- Two air filters
- Spare elbow for tubing
Features You Might Like
The SleepStyle Auto comes with features that both provide comfort and improve the machine’s efficacy. Integration with Fisher and Paykel’s SleepStyle app also allows users to track their treatment and improve their PAP therapy experience.
- Integrated heated humidifier and heated tubing: Cold, dry air can result in airway or sinus irritation for many PAP users. The SleepStyle Auto has a built-in heated humidifier with humidity controls to combat this common side effect. It also comes with lightweight heated tubing designed to reduce condensation.
- Expiratory pressure relief: The SleepStyle Auto reduces air pressure during exhalation, making it more comfortable to breathe normally.
- Ramp setting: Some people find it difficult to fall asleep when their PAP machine is at full pressure. The SleepStyle Auto has a 20-minute ramp setting that gradually increases the air pressure level, allowing users time to fall asleep.
- Wake-detection: Fisher and Paykel’s SensAwake algorithm automatically detects when users wake during the night, at which point the machine switches to a ramp setting that allows the user to fall asleep more comfortably.
- SleepStyle app integration: The SleepStyle app provides users with sleep and PAP therapy data tracking, as well as advice and alerts about common PAP therapy concerns.
- Automatic altitude adjustment: APAP users may have different air pressure requirements at different altitudes, depending on how thin the air is. The SleepStyle Auto makes these altitude adjustments automatically.
- Automatic leak compensation: The SleepStyle Auto can detect and compensate for air leaks that would otherwise reduce the amount of air pressure the user receives.
CPAP Machine Size and Cost
At roughly 7 inches square and just under 6 inches tall, the SleepStyle Auto is smaller than most APAP machines, particularly those with an integrated humidifier. Its weight of 3.7 pounds makes it reasonably easy to travel with, though people who travel often may prefer a more lightweight option.
APAP machines tend to cost more than CPAP machines with similar features, and the SleepStyle Auto has an average price-point for an APAP machine. Prices for the SleepStyle Auto vary depending on the retailer.
Dimensions: 7” x 7.2” x 5.7”
Weight: 3.7 lbs.
How This CPAP Machine Performs
The SleepStyle Auto has large, user-friendly buttons that may be helpful for users with dexterity concerns. A large central button starts and stops the machine, while the settings menu is controlled by up, down, select, and menu buttons.
Like most other CPAP machines, the SleepStyle Auto is compatible with all CPAP masks. The machine can be used with all standard tubing, though users who wish to continue using heated tubing are limited to Fisher and Paykel’s ThermoSmart line.
Air pressure is measured in centimeters of water pressure (cm H2O). The SleepStyle Auto has a range of 4-20 cm H2O, which is in line with the range offered by most other APAP machines.
Most modern CPAP machines operate quietly, and at 28 decibels, the SleepStyle Auto is no different. Twenty-eight decibels is considered to be just above “whisper-quiet” and is an average volume for similar CPAP models. While quiet enough for most people, very light sleepers may prefer a quieter machine.
While the SleepStyle Auto does not provide temperature controls, users can control the humidity on a scale of zero through seven. Fisher and Paykel states that using the included ThermoSmart AirSpiral heated tubing may prevent humidity-related problems such as condensation.
Fisher and Paykel recommends cleaning the breathing tube, water chamber, and chamber seal with warm, soapy water after every use. The outlet seal and tubing elbow should be washed weekly with soap and water, while the machine itself should be unplugged and wiped down with a damp cloth.
The SleepStyle Auto is smaller than most similar models and lacks an external power supply, making it quite portable. However, its weight of 3.7 pounds may make it less convenient to carry than a PAP machine designed for traveling. It is not FAA-certified for use in-flight.
What Do Customers Have to Say About the SleepStyle Auto CPAP?
Reviews of the SleepStyle Auto show that while most users report extremely positive experiences, not all features work for everyone.
Most reviewers recommended the SleepStyle Auto due to its wake-detection algorithm, which switches the machine to a ramp setting and allows users to fall back asleep without full air pressure. However, some users found that these fluctuations woke them up rather than helping them sleep more comfortably.
Another debated feature is the SleepStyle Auto’s ramp setting. While the majority of reviewers found it worked well for them, others were frustrated by the inability to customize the pressure or timing.
The machine’s ease of use, volume level, and humidifier design received almost unanimous praise.
Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
|Like all PAP machines, the SleepStyle Auto is only available with a prescription and must be purchased from a PAP retailer. The machine can be purchased directly through Fisher and Paykel, as well as from online or brick-and-mortar retailers.
|Many online PAP retailers offer free shipping, but shipping costs and the time it takes to receive your machine will vary depending on your location and the retailer you choose.
|The SleepStyle Auto does not come with a sleep trial. This means it is a good idea to pay attention to retailer return policies when choosing where to purchase your new machine.
|Fisher and Paykel backs the SleepStyle Auto with a two-year warranty covering defects in manufacturing or materials. The ThermoSmart AirSpiral heated tubing and humidifier chamber are covered by a 90-day warranty covering the same issues. Owners must present proof of purchase when submitting any warranty claims.
Medical Disclaimer: This content is for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice. Please consult a health care provider prior to starting a new treatment or making changes to your treatment plan.